Items filtered by date: Tuesday, 10 September 2019

North Korea on Tuesday fired projectiles into the sea, South Korea’s military said, hours after Pyongyang said it was willing to hold working-level talks this month with the United States.

Negotiations between Pyongyang and Washington have been gridlocked since a second summit between the North’s leader Kim Jong Un and US President Donald Trump in February ended without a deal.

North Korea twice launched “unidentified projectiles” Tuesday morning in an easterly direction. The objects flew approximately 330 kilometres (205 miles) from the Kaechon area in South Pyongan province, according to the South Korean military.

“We urge the North to stop such acts that escalate tensions in the region,” South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement.

No further details were immediately available but it was the latest in a series of provocations. Previous launches have been identified as short-range missiles.

“We are aware of reports of projectiles launched from North Korea,” a senior US official said. “We are continuing to monitor the situation and consulting closely with our allies in the region.”

Trump and Kim had agreed to restart working-level dialogue during an impromptu meeting at the Demilitarised Zone dividing the nuclear-armed North and South Korea in June, but those talks have yet to begin.

“We have willingness to sit with the US side for comprehensive discussions of the issues we have so far taken up at the time and place to be agreed late in September,” Choe Son Hui, the North’s vice foreign minister, said in a statement carried on Monday by the official Korean Central News Agency.

Choe’s comment followed her warning in late August that North Korea’s “expectations of dialogue with the US are gradually disappearing”, after Pyongyang conducted a series of weapons tests to protest joint US-South Korean military exercises.

Asked about the proposal for lower-level talks in September, Trump told reporters: “I have a very good relationship with Chairman Kim. I always say having meetings is a good thing. We’ll see what happens.”

The period suggested by North Korea would correspond with the United Nations General Assembly in New York.

On Monday, Choe recalled Kim’s comments that the North would wait until the end of the year for Washington to “quit its current calculation method” and urged the US to come up with an “acceptable” offer or risk jeopardising the entire diplomatic process.

When asked by News men about the latest North Korean offer, a State Department official replied: “We don’t have any meetings to announce at this time.”

Kim and Trump adopted a vaguely-worded statement on the “complete denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula” at their first summit in Singapore in June last year, but little progress has since been made on dismantling Pyongyang’s nuclear programme.

A report published by a United Nations panel of experts last week said North Korea’s development of nuclear warheads has not stopped, despite the moratorium it declared on nuclear blasts and long-range missile launches.

US officials have called North Korea’s recent short-range missile launches provocations, although Trump himself has avoided criticising them.

North Korea is under heavy US and UN sanctions over its weapons programmes, and has criticised Washington’s position that sanctions against the isolated regime will not be lifted until the country gives up its nuclear weapons.

Published in World

For the umpteenth time, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Boris Johnson has failed in his bid to call for a snap general election in a vote that took place in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

Johnson’s failure to secure a snap vote is the sixth-straight defeat in five days of House of Commons business and it came before parliament shut its doors for business.

The UK PM is now left without a parliamentary majority and unable to govern, as the deadline to leave the European Union looms even as an election is expected, sooner or later.

After the losing the vote, Johnson told MPs, once again, that he was committed to taking the UK out of the EU at the end of October, but that he would “strive to get an agreement in the national interest while preparing to leave without one.”

“This government will not delay Brexit any further,” he told a raucous house. “We will not allow the emphatic verdict of the referendum to be slowly suffocated by calculated paralysis.

Published in World
Tuesday, 10 September 2019 09:13

Shell loses N73b yearly to oil thieves

Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC) Joint Venture says it loses about N202 million daily in revenue to activities of criminals in the Niger Delta. This translates to a yearly loss of N73.7billion.
 
The company attributed the loss to daily attacks on its pipelines by suspected crude oil thieves and vandals.
 
SPDC’s General Manager, External Relations, Igo Weli, disclosed this at a media workshop on Pipelines Right of Way, Encroachment and Vandalism in Port Harcourt.
 
“SPDC JV is currently losing about 10,000 barrels per day (bpd) of oil or N202 million lost daily from its pipelines to crude oil thieves in the Niger Delta.
 
“This is a reduction from the loss of around 11,000 bpd in 2018 and about 9,000 bpd of oil lost daily in 2017.
 
“These attacks were on critical assets that produce the crude oil, which accounts for over 90 per cent of Nigeria’s foreign exchange earnings and the bulk of government revenue.
 
Weli said that the company had so far discovered and removed more than 1,160 illegal theft-points on its pipelines since 2012.
 
He further said that its pipelines were breached by vandals 111 times in 2018 alone resulting to oil spills in the Niger Delta.
 
“We are concerned about the lives and safety of those involved in pipeline vandalism and crude oil theft as well as the environment.
 
“SPDC puts safety first and have constantly made appeals to those involved to stop destroying their lands and heritage from the spills and pollution arising from their activities.
 
“We are calling on government, communities and other stakeholders to stem the incessant attack on our oil assets in the Niger Delta,” he appealed.
 
The general manager said that such illicit activities by criminals had denied the company and country the needed revenue to drive business and development.
 
He said that despite the attacks on its facilities, the company had spent billions to fund projects in the communities it operates.
 
According to him, the Niger Delta is the most blessed region in the country going by the huge revenue allocated to the region by government and companies.
 
“There is a community in the Niger Delta that has received over N2 billion from SPDC JV for its development, but is yet to develop.
 
“The region receives 13 per cent derivation, revenue from NDDC and funds from companies, but still has not developed.
 
“The Niger Delta has refused to develop despite the huge monies allocated to the area. So, we need to ask ourselves the critical questions to change the Niger Delta narratives,” he said.
Published in Business
  1. Opinions and Analysis

Calender

« September 2019 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
            1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30