Items filtered by date: Wednesday, 12 June 2019
Najila Trindade Mendes de Souza, the woman who has accused Brazilian football star Neymar of raping her in a Paris hotel has been dropped by a third lawyer — the latest twist in a scandal that has gripped the country.
 
Danilo Garcia de Andrade told broadcaster SBT late Monday he was no longer representing Trindade after she questioned his competence.
 
Trindade alleges Neymar sexually assaulted her in the French capital last month, a charge he denies.
 
Garcia took on Trindade’s lawsuit against Neymar last week, but days later, he reportedly said he was considering withdrawing from the case unless the model provided more evidence of wrongdoing.
 
The lawyer wanted to see the content of a seven-minute video filmed during the model’s second meeting with the Paris Saint-Germain star.
 
Trindade maintains the recording — a few seconds of which have been leaked on social media — includes conclusive evidence that she was assaulted.
 
The images were filmed on a tablet device which has been stolen, according to Trindade, but the owners of the building where she lives have denied claims of a forced break-in.
 
Trindade’s original lawyers walked away from her case because she had initially filed a complaint of physical abuse and not rape. A second lawyer abandoned the case after briefly helping Trindade.
 
She gave evidence to Sao Paulo police last Friday and, after six hours of testimony, Garcia carried her out of the station.
 
“She says that according to the tablet’s tracker, it would be in the same street as my office,” Garcia told SBT.
 
“She was very emphatic and a client should not question the competence of a lawyer, much less one that leaves a police station carrying their client in their arms.”
 
Trindade’s dramatic appearance came a day after Neymar went to a Rio de Janeiro police station — sitting in a wheelchair after injuring his ankle in last Wednesday’s pre-Copa America friendly against Qatar.
 
He gave a statement in an investigation into his publication of intimate WhatsApp messages and photos of Trindade on social media without her consent.
 
Neymar told police that an assistant and a technician were responsible for sharing the messages and photos, TV Globo reported.
 
The star striker’s injury has sidelined him from the Copa America, which begins Friday.
 
Published in World
The Africa Solidarity Trust Fund, an initiative aimed at providing food security and to eliminate rural poverty on the continent on Tuesday received a boost with a pledge of 17 million dollars.
 
The pledges were made at a high-level roundtable convened by the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) and the Equatorial Guinea President, Obiang Mbasogo.
 
The roundtable was held on the sidelines of the ongoing African Development Bank’s (AfDB) 2019 Annual Meetings in Malabo.
 
Angola pledged 10 million dollars, China 2.6 million dollars, France two million Euros, Equatorial Guinea two million dollars and Zimbabwe 100,000 dollars.
 
Speaking at the roundtable, Mbasogo said the “Fund is a turning point in the fight against food insecurity’’.
 
According to him, my tiny oil-rich nation has donated generously out of his oil revenues to show solidarity to African countries.
 
The Fund, an initiative of UN FAO, received its start-up contribution of 30 million dollars from Equatorial Guinea, the host nation of this year’s meetings, while Angola gave 10 million dollars, NAN reports.
 
Its projects had been lauded for providing innovative African agriculture and food systems.
 
Also speaking, Akinwumi Adesina, President of the AfDB, said Africa was being faced with challenges in the area of agriculture and food production, relying heavily on food imports.
 
“It is important that the Fund is showing that African countries are contributing to Africa as that links very closely to what we are doing.’’
 
Adesina, represented by the Vice President, Agriculture, Human and Social Development, AfDB, Jennifer Blanke said the bank’s commitment to providing farmers with technologies would help to improve their yields.
 
The FAO Director General, Jose Graziano da Silva said the Fund had led to the successful implantation of 18 projects that had benefited 41 countries.
 
Graziano da Silva, represented by Ms. Maria Semedo, the Deputy Director-General of FAO said thousands of people had also benefited from the Fund, including 160 households in Niger.
 
The FAO head also said that the Fund ensured a rapid response to populations affected by the Ebola outbreak in West Africa in 2014.
 
“We celebrate the success of the Fund, the excellent results of the Funds over the last five years is a living testimony,’’ he said.
 
He described it as a flagship initiative and one of the most successful funding initiatives of FAO, adding that the generosity of donors was unique evidence of strong solidarity among African countries.
 
The donor conference was attended by the presidents of Mauritania, Guinea Bissau, the Prime Minister of Eswatini, diplomats, finance ministers and banking institutions.
 
The theme of this year’s meeting is “Regional Integration for Africa’s Economic Prosperity’’.
 
The Annual Meetings provide opportunities for experts, governments, businesses, civil society, think-tanks and the academia to share their candid assessments on regional integration efforts and dialogue on critical issues concerning Africa’s development.
 
The meeting which opened on Monday with closed door sessions with dignitaries continues on Wednesday.
Published in World
The Italian Government on Monday said it is willing and ready to help Nigeria repatriate stolen funds stacked in foreign countries.
 
The Italian Ambassador to Nigeria, Dr Stefano Pontesilli said this when he accompanied a delegation from the Italian Parliament led by Senator Vito Petrocelli, Chairman Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs to the State House, Abuja.
 
According to Pontesilli, ‘‘we are willing to cooperate with your administration 100 per cent on illicit assets repatriation.’’
 
Responding, President Muhammadu Buhari commended the Italian government for demonstrating ‘‘open-mindedness’’ and willingness to cooperate with Nigeria on the issue of repatriation of stolen funds.
 
The President, while acknowledging the good wishes of the Italian government in the aftermath of the February 23 presidential election, told the delegation that his second term in office would consolidate on the progress recorded in the last four years in the country.
 
He also used the occasion to remind developed countries to do the needful on reviving Lake Chad.
 
‘‘Lake Chad is now 10 per cent of what it used to be. At least 30 million people around it benefit from fishing, farming and animal husbandry.
 
‘‘The drying up of Lake Chad has forced some people to defy the Sahara desert and the Mediterranean in their bid to get to Europe,’’ he said.
 
Earlier, Senator Petrocelli had told President Buhari that the delegation, which included Senator Tony Chike Iwobi, Vice Chairman, Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, a Nigerian and first African to be elected into the Italian Parliament, was in the country to attend to the June 12 Democracy Day celebrations.
 
He also congratulated the Nigerian leader on his re-election.
 
The President and the delegation which also included Italian investors discussed a range of bilateral and global issues including migration, Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), infrastructure development, anti-corruption and the need to strengthen inter-parliamentary relationship between Nigeria and Italy.
Published in Bank & Finance
The Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) on Tuesday announced a 10% discount on harbour dues in all concessioned terminals at the Eastern ports.
 
This was disclosed by the General Manager, Corporate and Strategic Communications of the authority, Mr Jatto Adams.
 
Adams in a statement said the ports that would be affected by this initiative are Calabar, Rivers and Delta Ports.
 
According to him, the discount was part of efforts to increase patronage of the Eastern ports.
 
“The Authority, however, wishes to clarify that this discount will only apply to harbour dues payable by the following types of vessels/cargoes.
 
“Container vessels with at least 250 TEUs; General cargo vessels with at least 16,000 tonnes; combo vessels with at least 16,000 tonnes; and RORO vessels with at least 250 units of vehicles.
 
“These discounts shall not apply to vessels coming INBALLAST (empty); vessels calling at private jetties; and vessels calling carrying liquid bulk,”
Published in Business
Wednesday, 12 June 2019 07:10

Investors lose N98bn at NSE

The Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) market capitalisation on Tuesday continued in a losing streak, dropping by N98 billion.
The market capitalisation which opened at N13.354 trillion shed N98 billion or 0.73 per cent to close at N13.256 trillion.
 
Also, the All Share Index (ASI) dropped 222.36 points, representing a loss of 0.73 per cent to close at 30,099.83, against 30,322.19 recorded on Monday.
 
The downturn was impacted by losses recorded in medium and large capitalised stocks, amongst which are; Mobil Nigeria, Dangote Cement, MTN Nigeria, Nigerian Breweries and Dangote Sugar Refinery.
 
Analysts at Cordros Capital Limited noted that “In the absence of a positive catalyst, we guide investors to trade cautiously in the short term.
 
“However, stable macroeconomic fundamentals and compelling valuation remain supportive of recovery in the mid-to-long term.”
 
Sovereign Trust Insurance led the losers’ chart dropping by eight per cent, to close at 23k per share.
 
Japaul Oil and Maritime Services shed 7.41 per cent to close at 25k, while Dangote Sugar depreciated by 4.35 per cent to close at N11per share.
 
Mobil Nigeria declined by 3.82 per cent to close at N163.50, while Sterling Bank was down by 3.28 per cent to close at N2.36 per share.
 
Conversely, Unilever Nigeria recorded the highest gain to leading the gainers’ chart with a gain of 8.22 per cent, to close at N30.95 per share.
 
Associated Bus Company gained 7.14 per cent to close at 30k, while Jaiz Bank appreciated by 4.35 per cent to close at 48k per share.
 
Wapic Insurance appreciated by 2.50 per cent to close at 41k, while NEM Insurance went up by 2.44 per cent to close at N2.10 per share.
 
The total volume traded depreciated by 5.64 per cent with an exchange of 233.45 million shares worth N3.52 billion traded in 3,169 deals.
 
This was in contrast with 247.39 million shares valued at N3.48 billion in 3,434 deals on Monday.
 
Transactions in the shares of Wapic Insurance topped the activity chart with 50.3 million shares worth N20.13 million.
 
Zenith Bank came second with 28.16 million shares worth N566.47 million, while Courteville Business Solutions traded 25.18 million shares valued at N5.04 million.
 
Access Bank transacted 25.1 million shares worth N157.26 million, while Sterling Bank accounted for 21.09 million shares worth N49.62 million.
Published in Business
  1. Opinions and Analysis

Calender

« June 2019 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30