Tottenham Manager, Mauricio Pochettino has admitted that he made a mistake with his first formation in Tottenham’s 0-1 defeat to Ajax in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League semi-final.
Donny Van de Beek’s goal in the 15th minute was all Ajax needed to head into the second leg in Amsterdam as clear favourite.
Pochettino who was without the services of his two top strikers, Harry Kane (injured) and Son Heung-Min (suspension), started with a 5-3-2 formation with Fernando Llorente and Lucas Moura leading the attack.
Tottenham XI: Hugo Lloris; Keiran Trippier, Davinson Sanchez, Toby Alderweireld, Jan Vertonghen, Victor Wanyama, Danny Rose, Christian Eriksen, Dele Alli; Lucas, Llorente.
Reacting to their first half slow display, Pochettino told BT sport: “Watching now of course I can accept it was a mistake the shape we used. But there were not too many options.”
“I am not happy – you cannot guess what happens if we play in a different way. But our lack of energy… and a little sloppy.
“It was the not the shape that conceded the goal. Our approach to the game was not good. I am the manager so I have responsibility.”
Vertonghen suffered concussion when he collided with team-mate Toby Alderweireld and Ajax’s Andre Onana during the match, which led to the introduction of Moussa Sissoko in the 39th minute, after it was cleared that Vertonghen can no longer continue.
Moussa Sissoko provided some spark to tottenham’s attacking fluid but it wasn’t enough to break the resilience of the determined Ajax set-up.
“First half we started not in a good way. Ajax showed more energy, it was difficult for us to play. It was our lack of energy,” Pochettino said.
“After we conceded the goal – 25 to 30 minutes in – we started to be in the game. Moussa Sissoko provided good energy.
“Second half we pushed them and tried to create chances. It was an even game in the second half. We are alive. It’s only 1-0 down. We need to believe we can go there and win the game.”
Tottenham hotspur and Ajax will meet again for the second leg on May 8 at the Johan Cruyff Arena in Amsterdam.
At least 83 people were detained on Tuesday in Venezuela during protests against the government, Head of Foro Penal Venezuelan non-governmental organization (NGO) Alfredo Romero said on Twitter.
“We confirm the information on 83 arrests for participation in demonstrations today,” he wrote. According to NGO estimates, most people were detained in Zulia state. In other regions, the number of detainees varies from one to four. Earlier, human rights activists talked about 25 people in detention.
Protests began in Caracas and several other cities in Venezuela after a group of servicemen took the side of Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido. During the demonstrations, accompanied by clashes with the security forces, a few dozen people were injured in the capital of the country.
Earlier on Tuesday, Guaido published a video on Twitter, in which he urged the Venezuelan military to take to the streets in order to “end the usurpation” in the country. A group of military officers and head of the Popular Will party Leopoldo Lopez also appeared in the video.
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has said 2 billion barrels of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), otherwise known as petrol, will be added to its stock across the country with effect from May.
This was disclosed by the Group Managing Director of the Corporation, Dr. Maikanti Baru during an award presentation to him on Leadership Innovation and Repositioning from the Road Transport Employers Association of Nigeria (RTEAN) in Abuja on Tuesday.
A statement by the NNPC spokesman, Mr. Ndu Ughamadu, said Baru was represented by the Managing Director of Petroleum Products Marketing Company (PPMC), a subsidiary of NNPC.
The move, according to the statement, was to sustain the present seamless supply of petrol across the country.
He maintained that the price of the product remained at N145 per litre while urging RETEAN not to allow their members to be shortchanged and report any marketer who contravenes the law to the Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR).
He added that the Corporation had embarked on the revamp of its refineries which began with the Port Harcourt Refining Company, PHRC, in order to reduce the importation of petroleum products in the country.
In his remarks, the National President of RTEAN, Comrade Osakpawan Eriyo, said, “any initiative by the NNPC to restore sanity to the Industry and we will be with you to fish out every unscrupulous element in the system.”
Labour’s ruling body has resisted pressure to back a second referendum before agreeing to any Brexit deal.
Rejecting a campaign by deputy leader Tom Watson, the National Executive Committee announced that its manifesto for the forthcoming European election would be “fully in line” with its existing policy of partial backing for a second poll.
“Labour is the only party which represents both people who supported Leave and Remain,” a spokesman said after the meeting. “We are working to bring the country together after the chaos and crisis created by the Tories.”
The move “sparked an immediate backlash among remain-supporters,” says The Guardian, but according to The New Statesman, the outcome means Labour has avoided “civil war”.
According to the Financial Times, the Labour leadership believes its position “is the only way to keep a delicate balance” between its “pro-European urban supporters and working-class voters in the heartlands of the Midlands, northern England and Wales who want to leave the EU.”
Following the lengthy NEC meeting, Jeremy Corbyn announced that the party would back a soft Brexit with a customs union and support the “option” of a public vote only if it was unable to either secure changes to the existing withdrawal deal or force a general election.
The outcome is a setback for Watson, who has campaigned for a second referendum, alongside some union leaders, MPs and Labour candidates for the European elections.
It was criticised by Bridget Phillipson MP, who said: “The manifesto’s mealy-mouthed wording still maintains the fiction that there is a deal out there that can satisfy all the promises made three years ago, avoid real costs to jobs and living standards, or end the endless crisis around Brexit.”
An NEC source told the Financial Times that the five-hour meeting had largely been amicable, but Richard Corbett, Labour’s leader in Brussels, had been vociferous in his backing of a second referendum. “Corbett got quite heated but then he’s a fundamentalist on that,” the source said.
Another NEC member told The Guardian: “Politically, it was necessary for some people to turn this into a fight about a second referendum but in reality this meeting was not going to change party policy.”
The meeting came as Labour’s cross-party Brexit talks with the government continue. Both sides insisted yesterday there was fresh impetus behind the attempt to find a consensus.
Credits: Financial Times
The Senate on Tuesday passed the 2019 Appropriation Bill into law and added N10 billion extra, raising the budget from N8.906 trillion to N8.916 trillion.
This is N86 billion higher than the proposal of N8.83 trillion presented by President Muhammadu Buhari to the National Assembly for the 2019 fiscal year.
The lawmakers passed the bill during Tuesday’s plenary after considering the report of the Senate Committee on Appropriations on the 2019 Appropriation Bill presented by Senator Danjuma Goje.
A breakdown of the budget estimate reveals that statutory transfer is N502.58 billion, N2.25 trillion is for debt servicing, recurrent expenditure gets N4.65 trillion, and N2.94 trillion is earmarked for capital expenditure.
Following the consideration of the report submitted by Senator Goje, the lawmakers resolved to approve the total sum of the Consolidated Revenue Fund.
They also adopted the recommendation of the Appropriations Committee which proposed that N10 billion be added to the service-wide votes to support the victims of crises in Zamfara State.
Thereafter, the Senate dissolved into the Committee of Supply for the consideration of the 2019 Appropriation Bill
Channels TV reports that the bill was then read the third time and passed by the lawmakers.
In his remarks, the Senate President, Dr Bukola Saraki, commended his colleagues for the efforts that led to the passage of the bill and called for its complete implementation by the Executive.
He said, “I want to thank our colleagues, particularly for their understanding and for us to be able to meet today’s deadline in passing the bill and (I) thank the Committee on Appropriation too.”
“I hope that with this budget passed, the Executive will also ensure the full implementation of the budget for the benefit of Nigerians as a whole,” Senator Saraki added.