The first-ever report on the health of refugees and migrants in Europe revealed that they tend to be healthier than the residents of host countries.
Australia has announced the last four children still in Nauru detention centre will soon be moved to the US after the two countries struck a deal.
Nauru is a tiny island country, covering just 21km2, located northeast of Australia and close to the equator where hot and humid temperatures prevail all year.
It was one of two camps where refugees and asylum seekers were put after Australia announced five years ago that anyone who tried to claim asylum after arriving by sea would never be allowed to settle.
Scheer says Trudeau damaged ‘integrity’ of immigration system
Andrew Scheer says a 2017 tweet by Justin Trudeau welcoming refugees to Canada has weakened the immigration system. The Tory leader says irregular border crossings lead to longer waits for those hoping to immigrate “the right way.”
"Every asylum seeker child has now been removed from Nauru or has had their claim processed and has a clear path off the island," Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Sunday.
Women, families and children were held on Nauru, while single men were kept on Manus, an island belonging to Papua New Guinea (PNG), where some of them were kept for five years.
New Zealand 'back door'
At least 46 children were born on Nauru.
"Over the past five months, we've been working quietly and methodically to remove children from Nauru. Today, there are only four children on Nauru and they will resettle permanently in the US," David Coleman, Australian Immigration minister, told reporters.
When Morrison took over as prime minister last August, there were 113 asylum-seeking children on Nauru.
The US agreed in 2016 to accept up to 1 250 refugees from Nauru and Papua New Guinea, but the vast majority of them have not yet been accepted.
New Zealand has also offered to take some of the refugees, but Australia has declined the offer because it fears that would allow asylum seekers to enter through the "back door".
Australia has stopped publishing data on the number of refugees held in the centres. Local media and refugee advocates estimate close to 1 000 people are currently held.
According to David Manne, legal expert with the Refugee and Immigration Legal Centre, Sunday's announcement is good news for the children but said Australia still had no policy on what to do with ones who might arrive in the future.
"After years and years of around 200 children being sent from Australia to Nauru and being held in cruel and degrading conditions, finally they can rebuild their lives after the devastating harm that has been caused to them," Manne said.
"Any future arrivals under the Australian policy would resolve in other children being held in the same kind of inhuman conditions. What we don't have is any significant and detailed shift in Australian policy if asylum seekers were to assert their fundamental human rights to seek asylum."
Ethiopian Athlete, Sintayehu Legese, on Saturday won the 2019 edition of the Lagos City Marathon.
Legese, who finished the race with a time of 2:17:26 won the grand prize of $50,000.
The second runner up, Joshua Kipkorir from Kenya had a finish time of 2: 18:16 while the third runner up William Yegon also from Kenya had a finish time of 2: 19: 04.
Both second and third placed runners are expected to go home with $40, 000 and $30, 000.
In the female category, it was a clean sweep for Ethiopia as the trio of Meseret Dinke, Alemenesh Herpha Guta and Kebena Chala finished first, second and third to win $50,000, $40,000 and $30,000 respectively.
Gideon Goyet was the first Nigerian to cross the finishing line in 2 hours, 30 minutes to win N3 million, beating last year’s champion, Iliya Pam to second place, with a prize money of N2 million.
Speaking while presenting prizes to the winners, Lagos State Governor, Mr Akinwunmi Ambode said it was gratifying that the marathon was getting bigger and better yearly, adding that the competition had come to stay.
He specifically appreciated all Lagosians for cooperating with government to ensure success of the tournament each year since it began four years ago, saying the initiative was basically in line with the determination of his administration to use sports, tourism and entertainment to promote Lagos and grow the State’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
“I want to say a big thank you to all Lagosians for tolerating us in the last four years because this is the fourth time we are doing this Lagos Access Marathon and it has been improving year in, year out. This year, we had 58 countries participating and over 100,000 athletes also taking part in this journey.
“The marathon is part of our administration’s initiative to use sports, tourism, entertainment, arts and culture to promote the excellence of Lagos and positively engage the youth. The competition has been getting bigger and better yearly and this year’s edition is exceptional being that it attracted highest participation worldwide and increase in the number of athletes and prizes,” Governor Ambode said.
While expressing optimism that the marathon would be sustained, Governor Ambode urged Lagosians to vote for all the candidates of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the forthcoming general elections from the Presidency to National Assembly and at the State levels.
“I believe strongly that what we have started will be continued by the APC gubernatorial candidate, Jide Sanwo-Olu when he comes in and I believe strongly also that this will take the GDP of Lagos to greater heights.
“Remember next Saturday is presidential election. You know where my heart is and that is four plus four; that is where we are going to be. On March 2nd also, we do the same thing which is to vote all APC candidates in the State. God bless all Lagosians; I love all of you and I remain yours forever,” the Governor said.
Besides, Governor Ambode also used the occasion to donate N2.5 million to an upcoming artiste, Johnson David who was called to perform on stage from the crowd by Nigerian hip-hop star, D Banj.
Lagos State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode (2nd left), with Group Managing Director, Access Bank, Mr. Herbert Wigwe (2nd right), presenting a cheque of $50,000 to Ethiopian athlete and the winner of the 2019 Lagos City Marathon, Sintayehu Legese (middle) while the 2nd Prize winner and Kenyan Athlete, Joshua Kipkorir (left) and 3rd Prize winner from Kenya, William Yegon (right), look on during the 2019 Lagos City Marathon at the Eko Atlantic City, on Saturday, February 2, 2019.
“We just want to say a big thank you to D Banj for the opportunity to bring out this kind of talent impromptu. I was just going to say D Banj should mentor him and in addition to that, my initial contribution is to give him N2.5million.
“This is what the Lagos story is all about –if you can dream it, you can make it happen. So, he must have been dreaming it and today he has gotten the access to the Lagos Access Bank Marathon and today, he is a changed person.
“So, this is what we have always been saying; the future belongs to all these young people and you can see that all of you are almost in the same age bracket and this is what the future of Lagos is and what we want to preach and continue to preach that every person can have that opportunity to make it in life,” he said.
The high point of the event was various performances by a-list artistes including Teni, CDQ, Slim Case, Olamide and D Banj who equally seized the opportunity to commend Governor Ambode for initiating and implementing the platform of the marathon and for his achievements in office in the last three and half years.
Three people have died and 17 others rescued as a passenger boat capsised at Bayeku area of Ikorodu, Lagos, Southwest Nigeria on Saturday.
The boat, said to belong to Eda Olaropin/Bayeku Association, conveying 20 passengers, ran into a submerged object and capzised mid-sea within the oke ira nla axis while heading to Bayeku area of Ikorodu, at 12:15pm on Saturday.
General Manager of the Lagos State Waterways Authority (LASWA), Mr. Damilola Emmanuel who confirmed the incident said an on the spot investigation carried out by LASWA revealed that the incident was caused by a submerged object beneath the waterways.
He said all passengers were wearing their life jackets but that casualty could have been as a result of fear or shock.
“Unfortunately, three persons were confirmed dead, while 17 persons were rescued alive.
“LASWA sympatises with the families of the deceased and the Agency is committed to achieving a zero incident rate on the waterways through enforced regulations and thorough risk management culture” Emmanuel said.
He, however, noted that the spot of the submerged wreck had been marked to avoid future occurrence while the State Government, in conjunction with the Marine Police would conduct a thorough investigation into the incident.